Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Less than nothing

This blog is on my MYSPACE but I thought I'd post it here too.
_________________________________________

My parents have two foster children. One of them is 9-months-old and the other is 5-months-old. When my parents got the 9-month-old he couldn't really do anything. He was about 5 months behind normal development... then he learned all that stuff (like how to sit up, stand, eat mashed food, crawl...ect.) in 45 days! Well my parent's got this 5-month-old about a week and a half ago. The 9-month-old crawls over to the 5-month-old and rubs his head. The 9-month-old doesn't realize that he is a baby. He sometimes looks at the 5-month-old sucking on his bottle and then takes the bottle out of his own mouth and looks at it with curiosity. He is most likely thinking "well, the baby gets a bottle... I get a bottle too." It is odd that he is a baby but he doesn't look at himself as a baby.

The complexities of the human mind are fun to look at. Take memory for example - if you ask someone to recall their very first memory they can normally tell you how old they were and what happened. How does our brain know "this is your first memory!" why do we pick out that memory above other memories we might have? Even mentioning this first memory example may have had you recalling your very first memory without even seeming to think too hard about it.

Our thoughts are so complex. Even this very thought about our thoughts being complex is a complex thought. It is our thoughts that cause us to think about the universe. Our thoughts can cause us to do the simplest things like comb out hair but they can also cause us to do the most complicated things. It is our thoughts that cause us to come to some conclusion about God. It is because of our thoughts that we make decisions. They way we think cause our personality.

Most importantly, I must point out that I am not doing this thought about the complexity of our thoughts justice. There is no way that I could explain what I am thinking in a way that completely explains my thought process behind this one thought about thought. (If you understand that sentence you probably understand my thought.)

On top of these thought about thoughts, I was thinking about God and God's thoughts. To think that our thoughts are SO complex and how much BIGGER is God than I. Why did God give us such complex minds yet we still cannot understand the complexity of God himself. This only proves how much BIGGER God is … He is bigger then anything we could imagine or think of.

Psalm 139:13-19 (NLT)

You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body
and knit me together in my mother's womb.
Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex!
Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it.
You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion,
as I was woven together in the dark of the womb.
You saw me before I was born.
Every day of my life was recorded in your book.
Every moment was laid out
before a single day had passed.

How precious are your thoughts about me, O God.
They cannot be numbered!
I can't even count them;
they outnumber the grains of sand!
And when I wake up,
you are still with me!

No comments: