Sunday, November 9, 2008

Snakes In a Gutter

I've been looking for more challenging games that we can play in Fusion (KidzChurch) because the Christmas Lights are going up in the gym this weeks and that means no more basketballs or dodge balls. So I went searching for some group games online and I found this game called "Snakes In a Gutter".

Two or three kids are chosen to stand on the half court line (as snakes) and they cannot move from it. Everyone else stands against the wall furthest from the half court line. Then all the kids yell "Snakes in the gutter!" and they run to the opposite side of the gym. If one gets tagged by a snake then they're a snake too and stand on the half court line.

So when I asked the kids if they wanted to play a new game this week, they all shouted, "NOOOOOO!!!" It was overwhelmingly negative. One kid even said, "I HATE games!" However, in my authority I made them play (I've never had to make kids play a game before!). After the first round the kids realized how much fun it was and wanted to try again. As the rounds progressed they were finding new ways to get around (under or over) the snakes without getting tagged. When time finally came to do somthing else, i could only pull them away by promising time to play again later.

Isn't it interesting how we think we hate somthing until we try it? Wouldn't it be just aweful of me to relate this to the election right now? Seriously though, the day after the election I thought my head was going to expload. There were so many people (instructors, students and all) with everything to say about Obama and what a shame it is that he will be our president. Personally, I don't really think that much on it. I know that God (the supreme authority) is in control and what ever happens happpens and He knows that it will happen. Romans 13:1-2 says, "Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against the authoritiey is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves..." So, just like those kids screaming "Nooo!" and "I hate, I hate!" after trying it they liked it. I'm not saying that it will turn out that way for us, but maybe God will bring somthing together. Maybe people will recognize their need for Jesus? Maybe God is preparing us for somthing yet to come? We don't know what God is doing here, and it would (and is) unfair for us to judge the man God is placing in authority.

Anyway, Back to the kids, I think we might have a new favorite game (instead of dodge ball). If anyone else has some fun games kids can play (about 20-25 children) the suggestion would be very appreciated.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

The boys really DID like that game & talked about it in the car on the way home!

Unknown said...

Great insight! I am proud of you Brook, baby.